Around the holidays, you hear a lot of stories about people starting fires in their homes caused by cooking disasters. Often, those stories involve an attempt to deep-fry a turkey. Of course, no one plans for holiday meal prep to go horribly wrong, but you want to be prepared just in case. At Morin Insurance, our mission is to help you protect your home. A major part of that is ensuring that our customers know what coverage they get with their NH home insurance plans.
Let’s take a look at what most NH home insurance plans cover in terms of fire damage.
What types of fire does insurance cover?
Home insurance covers damages from instances of most accidental fires. Accidental fires that happen while cooking are most often grease fires. If cooking oil catches fire while you’re cooking, for example, a typical home insurance plan will cover that damage. The same is true if you accidentally knock over a candle or have an electrical fire. Electrical fires are also a concern around the holidays as we have more things plugged in, like decorations and string lights.
How much of my property is covered?
That depends on your particular insurance plan. There are multiple types of coverage that handle fire damage. Here are the most common:
- Dwelling coverage – In insurance, your home is called your “dwelling.” Dwelling coverage covers damages to the structure and materials of your home.
- Detached structures coverage – Detached structures are any structures in your property other than your house. Sheds, detached garages, and fences are all considered detached structures.
- Personal property coverage – Most home insurance plans cover anything inside your house as well as the house itself. Personal property coverage helps you to replace any belongings that you lose to fire damage, including appliances, furniture, and clothes.
- Loss of use coverage – If you have to temporarily move out of your house or relocate because of a fire, loss of use coverage will help you cover those expenses.
- Personal liability coverage – If a fire starts in your home and then spreads to your neighbor’s, you could be liable for that damage. Personal liability coverage can help cover the cost of a settlement if your neighbor takes you to court.
Reliable NH Home Insurance from the Morin Agency
You don’t want to spend your holidays worrying about insurance coverage. When you get your NH home insurance through Morin Insurance, you can rest easy knowing that you have the best coverage for your home and your family.