Per New Hampshire Statutes, NH RSA 264:15, if you buy Auto Insurance you must also purchase Uninsured Motorists Coverage. Uninsured Motorists Coverage provides coverage should injuries result from an accident involving an at-fault uninsured driver, or a hit and run driver. It also protects against injuries caused by insured drivers whose coverage is less than your own. In New Hampshire, Uninsured Motorists Coverage must be provided at limits equal to your Auto Liability Coverage.
You do not have to buy Collision Coverage or Comprehensive Coverage to protect your cars, unless you are obligated by your lender. If you do not purchase coverage for either or both of these options, you will need to personally fund any repair to your auto made necessary due to collision with another auto or a normally covered non-collision loss.
Common Types of Coverage Available
The following types of coverage are generally available in New Hampshire:
- Auto Liability Coverage – This provides coverage for liability incurred as the result of an auto accident caused by you. It also covers expenses for a lawyer to defend you should that become necessary. There are two kinds of liability coverage: Bodily Injury and Property Damage
- Bodily Injury Liability Coverage – This coverage pays for claims made as the result of injury to others resulting from an accident you cause. It compensates others for pain, suffering and economic damages, such aslost wages.
- Property Damage Liability Coverage – This coverage pays for damage to another auto or property of others incurred as the result of an auto accident caused by you.
- Uninsured or Under-insured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage – This coverage pays for injury to you if you are involved in an accident involving an automobile driven by an individual who is uninsured or under-insured and who is found to be liable for your damages.
- Medical Payments Coverage – This coverage pays for medical costs incurred as a result of injuries sustained in an accident without regard to fault. This coverage will pay for covered expenses up to one year (this time-frame may vary by insurance company) following the date that the injuries are sustained.
- Collision Coverage – This coverage pays for damage to your auto when it collides with another auto or object. This coverage is generally required by a lender, if a loan is obtained on your vehicle.
- Comprehensive Coverage – This coverage pays for damage to or the loss of your auto from causes other than collision (for example: hail, vandalism, fire, theft, etc.). This coverage is generally required by a lender, if a loan is obtained on your auto.
- Towing and Labor Coverage – This coverage reimburses you for towing expenses when your auto becomes disabled and requires roadside assistance.
- Rental Reimbursement / Transportation Expenses – This coverage, if provided, pays a specified amount for help in covering the necessary rental of a substitute auto while yours is being repaired. This coverage applies for a limited period of time and is referenced in your policy conditions.
We are a family owned and operated Independent Insurance agency, located in Alton, NH. Call us today for a New Hampshire auto insurance quote at (603) 875-1200.